Monday, March 10, 2008

Life Skills

In our Keepers Group we worked on Cooking this past Friday.  You can see more about our work on this badge on my Keepers Blog as well as the other things we've been working on this year.

There's a lot required in earning the Cooking badge.  With three girls going through the program, that's a lot of meal planning, prepping, cooking and cleaning.  I didn't want this badge to be like our baking badge, which I'm still working on w/ all of them, I knew I'd need to get to work right away!  I had them draw numbers 1 - 3, each number representing a meal.  1.  Breakfast, 2.  Lunch and 3. Supper.  I'm so clever.  

With their numbers drawn and meal they are responsible for determined, I sat down with each of them and had them come up with what they wanted to prepare this week for their respective meals.   With a little guidance we came up with some good meals.  Right now they aren't real daring and creative (we'll be eating a lot of fruit salad ) but they are nutritious and the girls came up with them on their own.  The biggest struggle for this will be with R, my 6 year old.  She is such a picky eater and really doesn't like to eat anything besides chicken, preferably w/ a nice coating and "sauteed" (we all know it's really fried).  Since adding squash puree I don't mind the chicken nuggets so much, but I'm not eating them every night this week!

As I think about it I'll post pictures of the meals and my chefs as they are creating their masterpieces.

Here's R last night at dinner:




Our menu included Pork Tenderloin (daddy helped with the grilling), rice, pineapple and carrots.  Yum.

This morning E, who is in charge of breakfast this week decided to make Buttermilk Scones.  We found a simple recipe on AllRecipes that she followed.  We need to work on her mixing the dry ingredients a little better (we were supposed to sift them, but I can't find my sifter) as there were pockets of salt and baking powder.  Despite that, they were still yummy.  She served them w/ Strawberry Preserves and orange juice.


Mixing the batter.


I didn't get a picture of the finished product, they went fast!

Adding in lunch for today.   A's job is to take care of lunches for the week.  On today's menu, PB&J on whole wheat bread, oranges and milk.






2 comments:

Jen said...

Loved seeing the pics and hearing about the menus.

4kiddos4me said...

You blow me away!!! We'll be lucky to finish this badge before the end of *next* year and I'm only working on it with one daughter!!! (please don't even ask me about the baking badge, lol!!)