Title: Latin Alive! Book 1
Author: Karen Moore and Gaylan DuBose
ISBN: Student Text: 9781600510540
Teacher Manual: 9781600510557
DVD & CD Set (taught by Karen Moore): 9781600510595
Age Range: Grades 7+
Website: Classical Academic Press
Price: Latin Alive! 1 Bundle - $139.95
As part of the TOS Crew we were recently sent the Latin Alive! 1 Bundle from Classical Academic Press. The bundle contains a consumable, sturdy paperback student text ($24.95) as well as a TM (29.95) and a 4 disc DVD & CD set ($114.95).
From their website:
Students will be delighted by what they learn in each new chapter of Latin Alive! Book One, and they will learn to see that Latin is everywhere around them. As the first text in a three-year series, it is a rigorous and thorough introduction to this great language, and is designed to engage the upper school (middle and high school) student. Brimming with relevant facts and stories this text offers something for everyone.
- Thirty six weekly chapters including twenty nine new content chapters and seven review, “reading” chapters.
- Pronunciation Guides
- Weekly introduction of vocabulary
- Thorough grammar explanations including all five noun declensions and cases, all verb conjugations, irregular verbs, various pronouns, adjectives and adverbs
- United States state seals and their Latin mottos
- Extensive study of the Latin derivatives of English words
- Substantial Latin readings and translation exercises
- Lessons and stories of Roman culture, myths and history
- Exercises and questions to prepare students for the National Latin Exam and the Advanced Placement Exam
- Includes historical contributions from Christopher Schlect, historian and Academic Dean at New Saint Andrews College, Moscow, ID
(make sure you click on the link "Headadventure Land" for fun, yes I said fun, Latin games!)
Not having studied Latin previously, this program was a giant leap into the world of Latin for us! The program is directed to the student, so I had my oldest daughter, who is 13, take this program and utilize it to the best of her ability. Her thoughts on the program included:
- It was interesting
- The instructor was easy to understand and follow
- It was fun to learn the new words and meanings
Check out this sample of Karen Moore teaching lesson one to get a feel for what is in this program. (pause the player on the right first)
E. is not too far into the program but she has enjoyed what she has learned so far. This particular daughter loves language and words and this program has whet her appetite to learn more.
We found this program to be thorough and engaging. My daughter enjoys the lessons, which makes her more apt to actually get her lessons done in a timely manner. I would recommend this program to someone looking for a solid Latin program for their Jr. High on up student. My only lingering consideration is this. Since both my daughter and I have zero experience with Latin, had I been the one to choose this program on my own, I probably would have started her off at the level before this one. However, even though she's had to work a little harder than if she had already been exposed to Latin already, she has had no trouble actually grasping the concepts being taught. That would have just been more for my comfort level. :)
There is an active Yahoo email group where you will find all sorts of helps and hints for getting the most out of this curriculum. It's a great place to ask questions and glean from those more experienced with the language.
Classical Academic Press also offers other language programs including, Latin for younger students, Greek, French and Spanish. They also offer Logic, Bible, & Poetry programs as well. Definitely check out their website for some interesting curriculum.
To see what others on the TOS Crew thought of the Latin Alive Book 1, as well as reviews of some of the other Latin programs offered through Classical Academic Press, click here.
I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions.