Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Simple Pleasures

I recently discovered a small, urban farm not too far from my home. They have a Farmer's Market, right there at the farm, every Tuesday. For the past month I was taking one of my kids each week to see the farm and meet the owners.

This farm has goats and chickens and fresh organic veggies. But the thing that makes this farm extra special are the owners. Lylah and Michael are beautiful people, inside and out. :)

On my first trip to the farm, their helper, Anita, told me about their Sugar Pumpkins, the ones you normally make into pumpkin pie, and how a vegetarian client of theirs likes to eat them.  A. was with me that day and being one who enjoys food and trying new things, she wanted to give it a try.

I purchased a few pumpkins and brought them home for lunch. :)

Washed and ready to go.


I first cut the tops off the pumpkins and scooped out the seeds.

 Next, I filled the inside with breadcrumbs, grated cheese, coarse salt and brown sugar

I popped the lids back on 

 and put them into the oven to bake.

 The house had a delicious pumpkiny smell as they cooked.

After 45 minutes, the pumpkins were ready. 

 A. getting ready to eat her pumpkin yumminess

Even J couldn't wait to dig in!
For a yummy, healthy, winter warming meal, don't overlook your locally grown pie pumpkins! :)

No comments: