Friday, June 4, 2010

Banana Bread


Doesn't that look yummy?  Wanna know a secret?  It's gluten free and it's not from a mix!

Wahoo! My first non-mix gluten free attempt was a success.  This bread tasted so yummy.  I had one slice before it was, literally, inhaled by the rest of the family.  I say that is a success all the way around. :)

I used my old, faithful Better Homes and Garden, basic cookbook and just replaced the wheat flour w/ a gluten free blend of white rice flour, tapioca starch, arrowroot, xanthan gum and gelatin, cup for cup.  I followed the recipe, just like I normally would but added this blend instead of wheat.  The results were this surprisingly light, full of flavor (you could really taste the sweetness which might have had more to do w/ the extremely over ripe bananas I was using than the lack of wheat ;) ), non-gritty bread.  The texture was great, the flavor was great.  Definitely results that have given me more confidence to make some more gluten free creations. :)

No comments: