Sunday, October 4, 2009

School plans

As my kids have gotten older I've learned that I need to have a plan to ensure we have a smooth school day/week/month/year. I've also learned as I've discovered more about how my special treasures learn, not to rely too heavily on that plan!

With the identification and naming of specific areas one daughter struggles with in her learning, I've had to take my well layed out plans from this summer and toss them. Not really toss I guess, just tweak them. Of course tweaking them means I'm taking back about 99% of the independent work I was looking forward to relinquishing to her. Not gonna happen this year and that's ok. It wouldn't be fair to her to make her do something she's just not ready for yet. That's why we're homeschooling. One of the reasons, anyways. So that when we need to slow down, speed up, change direction or scenery to help our students be the best they can be, we can do it, for them. For one of the most important people in the world to me, my daughter. Instead, she'll get about 1% of the independent work she was originally going to have and that's ok. She's worth it.


No comments: